Thursday, December 29, 2011

Ready to go!

One would think that after all the traveling I've done over the years I'd have the packing routine down.   Unfortunately, not so much.  After running around like a crazy woman the last few days shopping, doing laundry and cleaning I finally started to pack around 9:30 last night.  Nothing like waiting until the last minute!  Every trip I say I'm going to pack less, but it never seems to happen!  In my defense, packing for hockey trips is tough.  Not only do I need to bring all my referee gear, but I also need to bring dress clothes to wear to the rink, exercise clothes and regular clothes for just hanging out. I made it my goal to try to fit all of this stuff in my giant "mother load" wheeled referee bag and a small suitcase.  Fail.  I ended up having to use the big suitcase in addition to the ref bag, but at least I didn't have to extend it all the way!  And at least this time around I had a scale to weigh my bags to make sure they weren't overweight!  When I went to China I had to borrow a friend's scale at midnight the night before I was leaving to make sure I was good to go!  So after taking a quick break to run over to my friends Vinny and Sarah's house to watch 24/7, I came home and finished packing around 2:30am!  At least I could sleep in a little bit this morning!

Speaking of 24/7, the one thing I am slightly disappointed about is I will be away for the Winter Classic.  However, I was over it in about 10 seconds when I thought about the fact that I will be in Czech Republic at the World Championships!  For those non-hockey people, the Winter Classic is the annual NHL outdoor game.  This year it is taking place in Philly at Citizens Bank Park - the Flyers are playing the Rangers.  24/7 is the HBO special where they are giving you a behind the scenes look at the teams leading up to the Winter Classic.  Even if you aren't a huge hockey fan, it is a pretty cool show.  I highly recommend it!  The game itself is on January 2 so I'm hoping I can catch a little of it while I am overseas either on tv or via the web.  My friend and mentor, Ian Walsh, is refereeing the game so I'm excited to watch him.  He is #29 so keep an eye out for him!  Also, if you are looking for some other hockey on TV, the IIHF Men's World Junior Championships is on the NHL network all this week and next.  It is some great hockey and several Americans are there working as well.  I have watched for a bit the last few nights, it was a good reminder of IIHF rules and procedures!

On the topic of mentors, I'd be remiss if I didn't say a few quick thank yous before I left.  Obviously big thanks goes out to USA Hockey for helping me get selected for this opportunity.  There are so many people involved with USA Hockey who have helped me along the way.  All of my camp instructors, supervisors, assignors and evaluators who have helped me learn and develop.  Thanks to my fellow officials for the friendship and support - it means the world to me.  Thanks to everyone at the gym for kicking my butt and helping me be physically ready.  And finally thanks to my friends and family for your support.

I'm sitting at the airport now waiting to board my first flight to Washington.  It is going to be a long travel day but I'm excited.  Next post will be from Czech Republic!

No comments:

Post a Comment