Monday, April 1, 2013

April Fools & TV Timeouts

Today was rather uneventful compared to yesterday.  We got to the rink this morning and the photographer was nowhere to be found so we skipped the pictures and just skated.  The ice was good but man was it hot out there!  I was sweating the moment I stepped on the ice.  I can't imagine what it is going to be like when all the lights are on and there are people in the stands.  After our skate we came back to the hotel, had breakfast then headed into our meeting.

During the meeting we reviewed a lot of the rules and logistics for the event.  At IIHF events the host country typically provides goal judges for all the games except their own.  For those games the linesman take care of goal judging.  For my non-hockey friends, a goal judge sits directly behind the net and turns on a light when the puck crosses the line.  Back in the days before video review it was a pretty important job but now with video they are just another set of eyes out there to help the officials on the ice.  A few years ago the NHL moved the goal judges out from behind the net upstairs to a video room.  They use the camera to know when to turn on the light.  Matt, one of our supervisors started off the meeting by saying because we were in an NHL building the goal judges would have to go through this crazy procedure of waving a flag and then waving to someone upstairs to hit the button for the light.  I'm thinking this sounds reasonable since the NHL doesn't have a spot for us to sit.  After going though this whole long explanation and I have taken a half page of notes, Matt says "April fools, we don't need to goal judge at all."  We had all totally fallen for it!

One of the procedures we did review that is new to me is TV timeouts.  At some of the other events I have worked the games have been televised but we never had to worry about TV timeouts.  Now, twice a period, we have to look for a red light.  When the light is on there is a TV timeout and both teams go to their benches for 70 seconds.  I must admit, I'm a little nervous I'm going to forget to look for the light!

After the meeting we got our credentials for the building.  You know this event is a big deal when they make you show your passport and sign a release in order to get your credential!  Following that we had the rest of the day free.  Our hotel is attached to a mall so we explored for awhile.  A small group of us headed out for dinner then we just spent the rest of the evening relaxing. Games start tomorrow so I think we are all a little nervous but excited.  I'm working Finland vs Switzerland at Scotia Bank at 3:30 then I am the standby for the USA vs Canada game at 7:30.  I'm really excited to watch that game.  Hopefully we won't have a repeat of last year where someone gets hurt and I have to go in!  Either way I will be more prepared this year.  Off to bed, goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment