Monday, March 30, 2015

Game Day #2

Today was the 2nd day of game.  After losing an hour of sleep (again, not happy about that) we got up and had a meeting to review the previous days games.  After our meeting I immediately went back to my room to take a nap!  I swear, I do more sleeping and eating at these tournaments than I do the entire rest of the year.  After my nap it was time for a quick bite to eat prior to getting ready to head to the rink.  Sweden again had the early game so I was able to catch a bit of it on tv before leaving.  Although I understand zero Swedish, I did see they were talking about girl on the team named Lisa Hendergen.  The reason I mention this is she is actually the cousin of one of my co-workers in New York.  I took a picture of the TV and sent it to him!

My crew then headed to the rink for our game.  Again, due to IIHF regulations I can't talk specifics but it was a very good, competitive game.  After the game we headed back to the hotel to eat.  One new thing this year, the IIHF set us up with a sports massage therapist so I decided to take advantage. She was awesome, really helped work out some of stiffness in my neck and shoulders from all of the travel.  After my massage a group of us decided to go back to the rink to watch the USA vs Finland game.  We were adventuresome and took the bus since our credentials allow us to use it for free. Part of the thing that made it a little intersting is nobody in the group speaks a lick of Swedish!  After almost getting on going the wrong direction we figured it out and made it in time.

Now is probably a good time to talk about some of the people I'm here with.  There are 19 officials and 4 "official" supervisors (we have some observers here too).  The referees and linesman are:

Gabby - ref from Canada
Anna - ref from Switzerland.  She was the one I visited last year in Zurich!
Draha - ref from Switzerland
Gabby - ref from Sweden
Katie - ref from USA
Nicole - ref from Germany
Jamie - ref from USA
Kaisa - ref from Finland
Marie - ref from France
Katarina - ref from Sweden
Bettina - lines from Austria
Stephanie - lines from Canada.  She was my roommate in Ottawa and sent me a little care package last year!
Jenni - lines from Finland
Veronica - lines from Sweden
Kaire  lines from Estonia
Lisa - lines from Germany
Ilona - lines from Czech
Anna - lines from Noray

As you can see, we have people from all over the world.  I've worked with many of these girls in the past and everyone has seemed to click and gets along great.  Tomorrow we are off and Kim planned a trip for us to his hometown of Copenhagen.  As his email said, we are off to the land of the little mermaid, Tivoli Gardens and Legoland!  Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment