Saturday, January 14, 2012

The trip home and recap of an amazing 2 weeks!

We got back to the hotel after the opera and got packed up to leave.  Our flight was at 10:20, however we had to take the metro and train to the airport so we left around 6:30 to give us plenty of time.  I ended up having a pretty rough night, the sandwich I had for dinner didn't agree with me and I spent a good portion of the night praying to the porcelain gods.  I was just praying it was out of my system before I had to get on the 10 hour flight home. What is it with me getting sick just before I have to fly lately?!?  First it was Vegas, now here! We got to the airport plenty early and when we checked in we realized the flight was not full.  I picked a row of 3 seats towards the back of the plane, hoping at least one of them would remain empty so I could spread out.  Luck would have it that both seats remained empty so I was able to spread out and I slept for the first 7 hours of the flight.  Thankfully, I stopped getting sick but the only thing I ate was a granola bar, and despite being a little hungry I was too nervous to try anything else before getting of the plane!  Once in DC I had to go through customs, where I got stopped because I had peanut butter and cashews in my bag.  Who would have thought that would have caused a red flag!  After passing the test, I had a 2 1/2 hour layover before the quick, 40 minute flight to Philly.  We were a delayed about an hour but I was still home and on my couch by 7:15.  I did everything in my power to stay awake to get back on eastern time but I still ended up waking up at 5:15 am and was on my work computer by 6:00 going through the 417 emails I had.  Luckily I've got Monday off so I have a nice 3 day weekend to recover and get caught up with life.  I've officially decided that Monday is my New Years day, during which I'm going to start fresh and get back to eating healthy, working out regularly and tackling my New Year's resolutions. 

I've had another great tournament and trip.  I worked my butt off to get ready for this tournament and I am hopeful that it showed on the ice.  Experiences like these make all of the hard work and sacrifice worthwhile.  I feel pretty good about my performance, and I'm hoping I did well enough in the IIHF's and USA Hockey's eyes to earn another opportunity.  Even if I don't, I have no regrets, I left everything on the ice and took care of what I can control.  Each tournament and subsequent site seeing trip has been very different, but all have been an absolute amazing experience.   I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to visit 7 different countries (China, France, Belgium, Holland, Czech Republic, Hungry and Austria) because of hockey.  I've met so many great people from all over the world, all of whom have a common interest in our love for the game of hockey.  I've got a new respect for the opportunities we are given in the US, many of the girls I met would kill to have the opportunities we have.  And seriously, how many people can say they spent 2 weeks in Europe visiting 3 amazing countries and came home in the black financially and lost weight?!?  Huge win!  I've said it once and I'll say it again, who would have ever thought that when I dragged myself out of bed that Saturday morning to go to the officiating seminar that it would lead to experiences like these?   Until next time!


PS Tons of pictures will be posted on my picasaweb site and Facebook this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment