Thursday, February 26, 2009

A boring day...

Nothing too exciting to report today. We slept late then got up and just hung around the hotel for awhile. Helen, Tara, Laura and I decided to pick up a few pizzas to take to the rink for everyone so we went to the Convention Center Mall before taking a taxi to the rink. We were at the rink pretty much all day today. I was off so I was just hanging out with everyone. Tomorrow are the finals. I got the bronze medal game - Finland vs Slovakia. I'm excited because I am working with the two French Canadians and I haven't seen Slovakia yet. Canada and China are in the gold medal game. I had that game in the preliminary round and Canada took it to the Chinese, hopefully tomorrow is more competitive.

I have learned a lot while I have been over here, however one of the things I wanted to mention was just how lucky the US officials are. The training and opportunities we have received through USA Hockey are awesome. At all of the USA Hockey events I have attended, the instructors and Matt always stress how lucky we are and how we get the best training in the world. And while I always believed them I guess I never really understood just how lucky we really are. Laura and I were discussing this last night, we often complain about how we are treated at home in different situations because we are female and how we have had to fight for respect. As frustrating as those situations can be, I am now realizing I am lucky I can even fight for respect, because some of these other girls can't do that. Hell, the girls from China have a tough time even getting equipment that is decent and fits. Some of us are trying to pool together some of our stuff to give them when we leave. Although it may not be new at least it is something - better than what they have now. If I am lucky enough to get another international tournament, I'm going to make sure I bring some of my old stuff to give to the other officials. You just don't realize just how lucky you are until you see what others are dealing with.

That's all I've got for today. Pictures are at www.picasaweb.google.com/connolly.kate. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment