Sunday, February 8, 2009

How this all came to be

As most of you know, I leave for China to officiate the World University Games on Friday.  I've decided to keep a blog during the trip to help remember everything and to keep those at home informed about what is going on.  This is my first attempt at a blog so I apologize if it sucks...most of you know that I am not the best writer in the world!  If you have any questions or just want to get in touch please shoot me an email, I plan on checking it regularly.  Please do not call or text me while I am gone, I don't want my cell phone bill to be through the roof and it is going  to cost me about $2.50 a minute for every phone call I make or receive.

I figured I'd start off this blog with a little background on how this whole thing came to be. When I decided to start reffing about 5 years ago, I did it to earn a little extra cash.  Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that one day I would be an internationally licensed referee.  I almost didn't even go back and get my certification my second season - I can't imagine how different my life would be if I hadn't dragged myself to the seminar that Saturday morning.  Since then I've worked hard and I've also gotten lucky.  Through USA Hockey I have had the opportunity to experience some great events - Chicago Showcase, Regional/Select/Elite camps, Nationals, Women's Holiday Camp in Lake Placid, and 4 Nations Cup are just a few of the highlights.  And while all of these events have been a lot of fun and very memorable, I think the thing that I really appreciate most is the people I have met along the way.  I have never met a better, more caring group of people in anything that I have ever been a part of.  It truly is a fraternity; through officiating I have made some lifelong friends from all over the country - people who I know I could count on if I ever needed help.  I'll never forget the outpouring of support for the 2 females diagnosed with breast cancer (http://www.usahockeymagazine.com/story.php?left_nav=0807&article=hockey-refs-cancer-0807&right_nav-normal).  Things like that just show what a great group of people officials are and I'm proud to be associated with them.  So with all of that said, as I sit here getting ready to take the trip of a lifetime to officiate the World University Games in China I just wanted to say thanks to all those who have helped me get here - family, friends, teammates, supervisors, summit people, fellow officials...without all of your support I would have never been given an opportunity like this.  Now I just need to make the most of it and do my best.  Enough of the sappy stuff, I've got to go shopping to get some essentials for the trip.  More on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment