Monday, February 9, 2009

My travel partners

I'm really lucky for many different reasons.  Not only do I get to experience this trip with 3 other Americans, but they are 3 people who I am very good friends with.  I figure I'd take a few minutes to "introduce" everyone to the people who I will be traveling with.  I'm sure they will be mentioned many times in my entries and will be in a lot of my pictures. 

Tara Leighton is from Fairbanks, Alaska.  We met at regional camp in 2006 and she has been to just about every USA Hockey event I have participated in over the last few years.  We even roomed together at Select camp and 4 Nations. We have become really good friends, even if I do rub it in her face that it isn't -20 degrees here and I get off of work when it snows!  Hopefully one day I can get up to Alaska to visit her.  

Laura Johnson is from Saint Louis, Missouri.  I met Laura for the first time at girls nationals last year.  We got to know each other really well in Lake Placid this summer when we were roommates for 10 days at Elite camp.  She was also at 4 Nations with me this past fall where together we worked the most exciting game of my career - USA vs Canada (USA won after OT and a 6 round shoot out!).  Laura will be on the same flight with me to Beijing.  Unfortunately we can't play guitar hero on the plane like we did at elite camp and 4 Nations but I'm sure we will find ways to amuse ourselves!

Stacey Livingston is from Richmond, Virginia and is an IIHF supervisor.  Stacey was an instructor at both my regional and select camps and supervised 4 Nations this past fall.  Her husband is a die hard Penn State football fan so we get along well, haha!  Stacey is one of those people who have helped me get to where I am now so I am thrilled to have her there to give me feedback - not only because she knows me but also because she speaks excellent English!

Matt Leaf, the director of USA Hockey officiating, will also be in Harbin supervising the men's tournament so I'm sure we will see him a bunch.  I also know a few male American officials are going but I don't think I have ever met any of them.  

Like I said before, I really got lucky on this one.  I am traveling with a great group of people; I'm sure we are going to share lots of laughs throughout the trip!

1 comment:

  1. Like I said in my e-mail, thanks for including me in your blogger list. This is a fantastic opportunity and I wish I was going with you. Also, I wish I could write as well as you. Can't wait for your first posting from China.

    ReplyDelete