Monday, April 4, 2011

First Day of Games!

Today was the first day of games.  Remember when I wrote about North Korea before I left?  Well it turns out they decided to pull out of both this tournament and their men's tournament last week.  We were told it was because their ice hockey federation did not have the money to send them.  It is a shame because that means one less game each day that we get to work.  

The level of hockey is ok.  I watched Great Britain vs. Denmark earlier today and worked Italy vs. France tonight.  I would compare it to the lower end of NCAA Division 3.  Each team has a few good players but overall they aren't near as strong as the North Americans.  My game was very evenly matched though, with France winning 1-0.  The arena was pretty full and the fans were into the game so it was fun.  I worked with Anu (Finland) and Jana (Slovakia).  

All of the girls here are really nice and most speak very good English.  Katie, the other American, and I both said we feel so inadequate speaking only one language.  Most of the French people around this town speak some English as well so it is relatively easy to get by not knowing the language.

That's all for now, I need to go to bed to try to get adjusted to the time over here.  We have ice early in the morning for skating tests.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment