Sunday, April 3, 2011

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

I wrote that last post from the airport before I left Philadelphia.  The flight over, other than being delayed, was uneventful.  After going though customs and picking up my bags, Renaud, a representative from the French sports association was waiting for me.  We then headed over to another terminal to pick up Arina (from Russia).  I assumed that Renaud would be driving us out to Caen (2 hours from Paris), but I was wrong.  Apparently there was a van that took all of the people that arrived in the morning.  Since I missed that they drove Arina and I to the train station on the north side of Paris and told us to take the train.  We arrived at the station at 12:45 and found out that the next train wasn't until 2:45.  The train station wasn't the most exciting place in the world, in fact we even had to pay to use the restrooms.  When it was finally time to board our train we realized Arina had an assigned seat and I didn't.  It was strange, the train was an Amtrak style train but half the people had seat assignments and the others didn't.  After finally figuring out where her seat was we stowed our luggage and immediately passed out for the two hour ride.  Upon arriving in Caen, we found our ride and went over to the hotel.

The hotel is very small but cute.  I'm rooming with a girl named Jana from Slovakia.  Our room has two twin beds that are practically on top of each other, a tiny flat screen tv and a small bathroom.  Both of us have two huge bags so there isn't a whole lot of space left over!  After getting settled we met all of the girls for dinner.  Dinner here was way better than any meal I had in China! Afterwards, we walked over to check out the rink.  It is awesome that the hotel and rink are only a 10 minute walk apart.  We then met our supervisor, Maurice Roy from Canada, had a quick meeting and it is now time for bed.  I'm exhausted having not slept a ton on the plane.  Tomorrow games start, I am working the 8:30 game so I'll update more then.  Goodnight from France!

No comments:

Post a Comment