Friday, March 28, 2014

Another Day Away From the Rink

Today was our 2nd day off.  Unlike last time when we still had some IIHF related activities, this was truly a complete day off.  We are getting to crunch time in the tournament so it is nice to step away to give yourself both a physical and mental break.  We all planned to meet for breakfast around 9.  We had arranged for a bus to take us downtown again at 10:30.  This time we were dropped off at Castle Hill on the Buda side of the river.  I had actually never been to this part of Budapest so I was excited to see something new.  The views were phenomenal.  After taking lots of photos, we headed back to the bus and were dropped off near where we ate lunch on Tuesday.  We walked all around that area and through a little open air market where many of the girls did some shopping.  Mom, you will be very proud of me.  Knowing that I am moving 2 weeks from tomorrow, I refrained from buying any little Budapest trinkets.  The only thing I will be bringing home from this trip other than the clothes I was given is chocolate.

Following the shopping, we ate lunch at an awesome outdoor cafe overlooking the city.  The weather today was perfect for it - it was in the mid 60s and sunny with a light breeze.  Maria (from Slovakia) decided she thought our waiter was cute so she got his email address!  It was really funny, she said she would come back to visit on her next holiday! After our lunch we headed back to the main part of town to be picked up by the bus to go back to the hotel.  Once we got back to the hotel, everyone changed into their swimsuits and headed down to the sauna and pools.  After our pool time everyone got cleaned up and went to dinner.  The food here in general has been pretty good.  My only complaint (and this is partially my own doing) is I've been eating way more carbs (think bread and pasta) than I normally do. Once I get home I need to get back on track with my diet.  Dinner tonight just wasn't doing it for many of us so we decided to walk to a little strip mall that had a grocery store and some other shops after we were done eating.  I have been absolutely craving something chocolate so I was able to get some gelato.  It totally hit the spot. After walking back to the hotel, everyone headed back to their rooms to relax and get ready for tomorrow.  The semifinals, game 2 of relegation and the 5th/6th placement game are all tomorrow.  Every game has huge world ranking implications.  To see what I'm working click here: http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/365/IHW365000_58_9_0.pdf.

I can't believe we only have two more days of games and the tournament ends on Sunday.  I say the same thing every year but it feels like we just started the other day!  I have one or two more games left in my season, I'm hoping to make them my best ones yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment