Saturday, March 29, 2014

Great day of Games

Today we had 4 really great games.  We all meet for breakfast around 9.  From 10-12, the supervisors had individual meetings with us.  My meeting went really well, I got a lot of positive feedback and have a few little things to work on.  After our meetings, I took a quick nap then met my crew for lunch before heading to the rink for the day.  While I can't give specific details about my game, I can say that it was an awesome - probably the 2nd best game I worked all season (USA/Canada takes my #1 spot).  My partners and I worked really well together and we had a blast.

I mentioned in an earlier blog that the USA and Canada were expected to dominate the competition.  And while it is still going to be USA and Canada in the finals, based on the results today I'd say the gap is shrinking.  Even compared to when I was at this tournament 2 years ago, the teams are all improving.  It will be interesting to see if this carries over to the women's worlds in the next few years.  However, Katie made an interesting observation.  All of the girls in this tournament have yet to go on to college, where they will go through some pretty intense training over the next 4-5 years.  Will the girls that attend NCAA schools improve significantly?  And will they improve more than the girls from Europe who choose to play closer to home?  Like I said, I'll be interested to see the results at women's worlds over the next few years to see the carry over effect.

After the games today we had a quick dinner then it was off to bed.  Apparently Europe does their daylight savings time the last Saturday in March (vs North America who does the 2nd Saturday in March) so lucky me gets to lose an hour for the second time this spring!  Now if we were gaining an hour I certainly wouldn't complain, but losing an hour for the 2nd time sucks!  I seriously had no idea (nor did any of the other North Americans) Europe did their time change differently.  How about the whole world compromise and we do it the 3rd Saturday in March?  That would make a lot more sense!  Any idea where I can send my suggestion, lol?  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment