Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Travel Plans

My trip to Budapest is fast approaching!  I can't believe I leave a week from tomorrow!  This afternoon I got an email from the IIHF that had all of my final travel documents along with some more information about the tournament.  I leave from Philadelphia at 7:40 on Thursday night and fly to Washington Dulles.  I have a two hour layover there then fly to Frankfurt, Germany.  Once in Frankfurt, I have a 4 1/2 hour layover and then fly to Budapest.  I arrive in Budapest at 5:55pm on Friday.  Needless to say, it is going to be a long travel day.  

We were also sent the list of officials who will be participating along with information about where we will be staying.  After reading that information I added a bathing suit to the packing list because apparently our hotel is attached to a water park!  The hotel looks really nice from the website and I'm sure we will take advantage of the many hot tubs they have!  

One of the great things about going to these tournaments is getting to meet new people from all over the world.  Looking over the list, there are only two familiar names at this tournament!  I obviously know the other American (Katie) but I am really excited to be reunited with my roommate from when I was in France!  I haven't seen Jana (from Slovakia) in a few years but have been able to keep up with her on Facebook.  

Another great thing about going to Worlds is you have the opportunity to travel after the tournament if you so choose.  I've been able to take advantage of this the past few years and will be doing so again this year.  As I mentioned in my last post, I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to work the 4 Nations Cup in Lake Placid this year.  The IIHF sent two officials to that tournament, Anna from Switzerland and Marie from France.  Anna and I became very good friends so she suggested I come visit her after my tournament.  I took her up on the offer so once the tournament ends, I have a 48 hour layover in Zurich!  

I wish I could stay more than a few days in Switzerland, but another big event in my life has made the timing a bit difficult this year.  For those that don't know, back in September I signed the paperwork to build a new townhouse.  My closing is set for April 3rd at 9:00am.  I leave Zurich at 5:20pm on April 2nd and land in Newark at 8:10pm.  Newark is about an hour and a half from my house so you figure if all goes well I should arrive at my current home approximately 10 hours prior to settlement.  Nothing like cutting it close!  

To say I'm a little stressed right now would be putting it mildly.  I have a list of a million things that I have to get done between now and the time I have to leave for the airport next Thursday.  But I'm sure I'll find a way to get it all done, and the moment I set foot on that plane the focus becomes working hard and enjoying the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment