Monday, March 17, 2014

Surprise Package!

I didn't intend to do a blog post tonight but I wanted to share something really cool.  When I got home from work and the gym tonight, I had two packages at my front door.  The one package I was expecting - it was from USA Hockey and it had a bunch of USA pins and USA Hockey trinkets for me to take to Budapest to share with the other officials.  But the other package was a total surprise.  It was a little care package from my favorite French Canadian linesman Stephanie.  Stephanie and I had worked tournaments together the past two seasons and were roommates last year in Ottawa.  Inside the package were a few Canadian treats, a pair of mittens and some pins.  She wrote me a really sweet letter that just said she missed me as her roommate this year and she hoped to see me at a tournament in the future.  Funny story about Stephanie.  In Ottawa we were at two separate rinks.  She had a game at Scotia Bank one day and a game at Napean the next day.  She asked me if I would mind if she brought her equipment back to our room to air out.  I told her no problem, I figured I might need to do the same thing later in the tournament.  Now my equipment certainly doesn't smell like roses but holy crap, I walked into our room and almost passed out!  I now send her Facebook messages every once in awhile reminding her to wash her equipment!  I think she missed me as a roommate just because I'm the only one who would put up with that smell, haha!

I always talk about how fortunate I am to get these IIHF opportunities.  While the travel opportunities are awesome, the best part really is the people you meet and the friendships you make.  Thanks Stephanie, your little package totally made my day!




No comments:

Post a Comment