Thursday, March 27, 2014

Quarterfinals

Today was a really busy day!  We got up early to head to the rink for pictures.  We did individual head shots, a formal group picture and a few informal, fun shots.  After the photo session we stayed on the ice and did a few drills to work on things the supervisors wanted us to focus on for the rest of the tournament.  Just as the teams are getting better each day we have to continue to get better as well.  After the drills Romana was able to get us a bunch of sticks and we played shinny.  Unfortunately all of the sticks were lefties so I wasn't able to show off my sick hands (all my hockey friends should sense my sarcasm there).  We had split up the other day by age - older half of the group on one team and younger half on the other.  I am the youngest on the old team.  I'm happy to say that the old lady team took it to the youngsters!

After our time at the rink we came back, ate breakfast and had a meeting to review some things from the previous days games.  Following the meeting, just about everyone went to take a nap!  I find that I sleep so much more at these tournaments than I do at home.  I go to bed earlier, wake up later and get a nap in here and there!  If only I could sleep this much at home, I imagine I'd feel much more refreshed!

Following nap time I headed to the rink for my game.  Today were the quarterfinals and the first game of the relegation series.  To see what I worked click here:  http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/365/IHW365000_58_9_0.pdf.  My game was a lot of fun to work.  Both teams were evenly matched and battled hard.  An IIHF tradition is at the end of the game the anthem of the winning team is played.  The team that won my game was belting out their anthem!   It is pretty cool to be a part of something like that.  After skating my game I had to be a goal judge for the Hungry game.  The host provides goal judges for all games that their team is not a part of .  Us linesman rotate being goal judges when the home team plays.  When you goal judge you sit behind the net with a clicker.  When the puck crosses the goal line, you click your light on.  I was nervous, I didn't want to click the light by accident!

It is pretty crazy that we now only have 2 days worth of games left!  Time flies when you are having fun!  Tomorrow is another off day.  Ramona is arranging a bus for us to do something in the city - I'm not sure what!  It is so helpful to have someone who speaks Hungarian and knows the area.  I'm not sure what we would do without her!  Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment