Monday, March 24, 2014

Gameday #2

Today was the 2nd day of games here in Budapest.  As I mentioned before, the IIHF has set a very strict social media policy for this tournament so I'm not allowed to give too many details.  I can share with you this link that says what game I worked: http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/365/IHW365000_58_3_0.pdf

This morning prior to the games we had a meeting where we reviewed the games from yesterday.  One cool thing this group of supervisors is doing is using the coaches eye app to help us see what they are talking about.  My crossfit friends are all very familiar with this app but for those who aren't it is a video app for your ipad/iphone that allows you to play clips in slow motion, talk over them, draw on them and do side by side compares.  I'm a very visual learner so seeing how they want us positioned is really helpful.  I also think it helps those girls whose english isn't as strong - less words and more visuals.

In general I think both my games have gone pretty well.  I've worked with some great people so far and had a lot of fun.  There are several challenges about working these tournaments.  Working with people with whom you've never worked with before is always a challenge no matter where you are.  However the biggest challenge for me is remembering IIHF rules and procedures.  Not only are we using a different rulebook here but the procedures for linesman are totally different than they are back at home.  For example, at home we often pass the puck off to our partner, here you never hand off the puck.  The IIHF wants you lined up in different places at stoppages of play - this is one thing Stacey pointed out to me on my coaches eye, I had to get out of my "American" habit of lining up inside the blue line during face offs.  However the biggest and most challenging one for me is icings.  At home, when you blow your whistle for an icing you raise your right arm.  The back linesman points to the dot where the face off goes and crosses their arms.  Here, when the puck crosses the line you just blow your whistle - no arm raise.  Then the back linesman does the opposite - crosses their arms then points to the face off dot.  Now these may sound like subtle differences but when 99% of the games you work do it one way it is really hard to get out of your habits!  I'm pretty proud of myself that so far I haven't raised my arm on icings once!  I always feel it starting to go up just because it is natural and I don't even think about it but so far I have caught it in time!  The IIHF doesn't care that I don't do it that way at home so it is really important that I stay focused and work the game according to their procedures.

Tomorrow we have the day off from games.  In the morning we are doing all of our testing, then we are free until the evening when the organizing committee has organized some duck boat like tour of the city.  I'm looking forward to it!  Goodnight from Budapest, hope those in Philly are staying warm and looking forward to our next round of snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment